Monday, February 7, 2011

Still Life

Rubens, Head of Medusa

John Scott Hall

Kenro Izu

Rubens is by far one of my favorite artists of the baroque period and Medusa is my favorite mythical creature. Ruben painted her head being cut off by David (I think) and for some reason, it looks like a still life to me because of how the snakes are moving in their last moments of life. This also depicts Medusa's last moment of life, her eyes wide open as if death was unexpected. The second still life I chose by John Hall reminded me of a picture I was see in a perfect home catalog. I like how he adds the painting of a still life in the dead center as it suggesting it is the focal point. The colors are amazing and mirror the painting in  a way. The last still life I chose by Kenro Izu seemed familiar in a way I can't seem to remember besides knowing that I like it. The curves on the stem of the flower seem to mimic the curves of a human body or the strand of a DNA. I thought it was interesting that it's taken in grey scale because if it was in color, it wouldn't have the same effect.

1 comment:

  1. Good analysis of images, now use that information to inform your own still life images.

    ReplyDelete